Saturday 3 August 2013

Hung Curd

A simple dairy product is hung curd. Also known as quark in Germany. I have seen them in all supermarkets yet to make shrikhand, which is a mind-blowing sinful dessert, I would always prefer a home made hung curd. Since it is very simple I don't mind taking an extra step to prepare shrikhand as they taste more delicious when I have the feeling in mind that it is fully home made. I have heard from many friends here that we could buy quark and prepare them. But some how the final verdict my mind has made is to prepare this divine dessert just with home made hung curd. Here I share the recipe of preparing hung curd at home.

Ingredients:
Full cream Greek yogurt-500ml(you could use home made yogurt too, but I find Greek yogurt is perfect)
A cheese cloth
A colander or a filter

Recipe:
Transfer the yogurt on to a cheese cloth.

Cover on all sides and make a knot on top.Then place it in a colander or filter on top of a vessal that holds well the colander/filter.
Let it drain. Do not keep this outside as there are chances that the hung curd will get sour.  So place the entire setting in refrigerator for 7-8 hours.
After 8 hours, take it out and squeeze gently just to make sure that the little extra whey water is also taken off.
Left over whey could be used in kneading dough for chapathis or rotis.
 
Your hung curd is ready to serve. It can be used desserts like shrikhand, in marinating mixture for kebabs or for paneer tikka or so on. I used this in preparing shrikhand, check out my shrikhand recipe

 
Enjoy the dish! n don't forget Eat and Eat little MORE.. :) 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment